Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Not Your Ordinary Cupcakes


While I was in Cedarburg over the weekend to attend their 39th annual Winter Fest (which you can read about here), one of the events they had going on was a Cupcake Competition.  If you have been to one of these event in your own hometown, you know how fun and tasty they can be.  I have been to a couple in Madison, but they did not have the level of creativity the one in Cedarburg had. 

There were two separate competitions, an adult one and a youth one.  You paid $5.00 for 5 cupcakes (you could also buy more for $1.00 apiece) and voted on both the taste and the display.  As you can see from the photos, these displays were very inventive.


This display, part of the youth category, featured a different flavored cupcake for each region of the United States.



The Parisian display was also part of the youth category.


I don't know if there was a specific theme, but a lot of them were based on children's books such as Curious George.


Since I only had $5.00 to spend on cupcakes (and not that large of an appetite), I restricted my tastings to the Adult competition.  Unfortunately, I did not get a good photo of the cupcake I liked the best, which was chocolate with peanut butter frosting and filling.  But these bears, which were also chocolate, were quite good as well.


This display, part of the adult category, was based on Willy Wonka.


And this display was my absolute favorite.  It was based on "The Lorax" and their cupcakes had trees made with the cupcake as the base and cotton candy as the branches.



All in all, it was a tasty and fun way to spend part of the chilly day.  If you have the chance to participate in a cupcake challenge in your city (such as the Iron Cupcake), you should.  But bring a friend (or five) to help you indulge.

This post is also my "N" post for Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday.  Click on the link to see more!

27 comments:

  1. omg, that looks scrumptious! I'm jealous, and now want cupcakes- or popcorn :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcake spread is really dellish!! Must have been a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dominique. It seemed like everyone had a great time.

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! I just want to eat them now!!
    The popcorn is so clever :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I know. Some people are much more creative than I could ever be. Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  5. Oh my ~ what an event ~ So many goodies ~ Great shots! great post for N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I think this would be my idea of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty fun, but I know I couldn't have tasted them all. They were great to admire, though!

      Delete
  7. What a neat thing! My grandson has been recently diagnosed with a glutin intolerance, so today I made my first glutin-free brownie cupcakes for him. He loved them! They actually tasted pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Esther! I have heard some great things about gluten-free products so I'm glad your grandson enjoyed them.

      Delete
  8. These are truly amazing! I would love to know what the regional flavors were in the map display.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool not your ordinary cupcakes. I really enjoyed my visit today. I am following you now.
    Have a great Thursday,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and the follow. I'm glad you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  10. I immediately fell in love of the cute bear cakes think will be making for Harry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you know I clicked on your entry FIRST because it was about cupcakes, of course! What a good idea for a fund raiser this would be. I have not seen it in my area but I certainly would have to go if I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make a great fund-raiser. Thanks for visiting, Peg!

      Delete
  12. the iron cupcake! hysterical. what a fun way to spend an afternoon (though I confess I am not a fan of cake). agree with Peg above -- excellent fund raising idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go to the Iron Cupcake this year in Milwaukee (if they have another one). I guess it's a huge event with local celebrity chefs and demonstrations.

      Delete
  13. OH! This looks like a delicious competition. :) Great idea for a fundraiser!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Wow!

    This is so nifty.

    I would have really enjoyed attending that!

    The colors and flavors and creativity are just wonderful!

    I'm going to google to see if they have these competitions in our area!

    Thanks for a fuN link for the letter 'N'.

    A+

    ReplyDelete