Monday, January 28, 2013

Keeping Cold: Ice Sculptors at Waukesha Janboree


The same weekend I attended the State Snow Sculpting contest in Racine (you can read about that entry too), I went to my city's downtown to the Waukesha Janboree Ice Sculpting contest.  This year was a little different than previous years in that the high temperature was 45 degrees and just after the judging began, the sun came out.  So the sculptures had to work fast and pray that their creation didn't melt before it was judged.  Needless to say, the ones in the doorways and under awnings fared the best with the sun, but I think everyone did a fantastic job with their creations.


The sculptors got to work at 9:00 Saturday morning and worked until 2:00 when the judging started.  They got to use whatever tools they wanted as long as they weren't electrical.


This man finished his sculpture rather early, so, while waiting around for the judges to come by, he sculpted a smaller block of ice into a beer mug (why not?  It's Wisconsin!)


                                
My friend, Ben (below), participated for the first time in 4 years and made a really cool sculpture of a dragon with an ice cream cone (you can see the finished sculpture below).  The theme of this year's Janboree was "Fire & Ice".
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                


And here are some of the other finished sculptures:





This sculpture was made to represent Golden Guernsey dairy, which, unfortunately is closing its doors very soon.



This sculpture, representing General Electric (a large employer in Waukesha County) had a working light bulb inside.


And this sculpture represented my favorite Waukesha coffee shop, The Steaming Cup.



This is also my "K" post for Jennifer Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday.  Unfortunately, even though I have a lot of fun participating in her blog hop, my participation this year may be sporadic at best, since I'm in my last semester of school.  But click on the link to see more posts!

26 comments:

  1. Ice sculptures are amazing...Too bad they melt in the end :(

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great, but you're right. I would have a hard time being that kind of artist and have my work disappear in a day or two.

      Delete
  2. I tried to make an Ice sculpture once and
    all I managed to do was break the large
    chunk into little chunks...
    Looks like a nice day but I'm so glad
    I now live in warm Florida.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have the artistic talent or dexterity to make one of these sculptures. But I admire the ones who can. Thanks for visiting - your blog is great!

      Delete
  3. Great post and excellent photography ~

    Carol of A Creative Harbor ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. just as well you were able to Kapture them before the heat stole them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were probably gone by Monday. Then got up to 60 degrees on Tuesday.

      Delete
  5. These are really cool! Their creators have such talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool post! Too bad these aren't permanent, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judie! I wouldn't want to spend all that time to create something that is gone in a day or two, but it comes with the job.

      Delete
  7. What great sculptures! I guess you really have to have a steady hand to carve one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Sarah! Either a steady hand or lots of skills with an ice chipper.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. That one was my favorite as well (besides my friend's dragon).

      Delete
  9. What a fun contest. Lots of talent there. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jamie ~~ Great "K" word, only in Wisconsin !!! How cold was it at the start? Sorry it only got up to 45 degrees. We are golfing in shorts and short sleeves here (Houston area where people still don't believe in Global Warming) now. Lots of snow birds in their RV's across the lake who golf with us.

    My favorite because of its nature is the beer mug. I would never miss the TV Laverne and Shirley Show when it was live. When I finished college (mid life change) I turned down a Business Law teaching job at Bemidji State University. I see the 'fun' I missed now. I like the deer and the sunflower best if the mug stayed unofficial.

    Thanks for peeking in on my "K" kangaroos. Best wishes in finishing your college. I did not surf to see what your degree will be. Later???
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim, for stopping by my blog! I think the temps hovered around 40 degrees the day of the sculpture contest but it was cloudy most of the day, so that helped. I'm jealous that you get to go out in short sleeves today - here it just snowed and the high temp will be 20 degrees. I am, however, looking forward to going snowshoeing for the first time in a couple of weeks.

      I'm getting my degree in Medical Coding, and I can't wait to get started in my new career.

      Glad you loved my photos - have fun golfing!

      Delete
  11. Oh, these amazing. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are soooo kool.

    ha!

    Pun intended!

    I love your friends carving...and that sweet little deer!

    Thanks for a chilly link for the letter 'K'.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had the talent for making sculptures. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but it's a lot of work. I think photographing the finished sculptures is fun, too!

      Delete