Sunday, September 30, 2012

Autumn Saturday At The Elegant Farmer


This past Saturday, I visited The Elegant Farmer, just west of Mukwonago, Wisconsin, for the very first time, just to see what everyone else was talking about.  The Elegant Farmer is a great place to get seasonal produce right off the farm as well as cheeses, sausages, coffees & teas, and baked goods, all homemade.  The highlight of the farm is the fact that you can pick your own fruits and vegetables.  Right now, apples and pumpkins are in season, but unfortunately, the apples were picked over.  Visitors were able to choose their own apples to buy, however, from bushels within the orchard.


As I was walking through the orchard, I did come across some underripe apples lying on the ground:


On the weekends, throughout September and October, visitors can ride on the hayride out to the pumpkin patch:


Or they can get pumpkins out of boxes in the main field, both orange:


And white (or albino), which I'd never seen before:

 
After I visited the orchard, I grabbed a morning snack at the donut shack.  It was an apple donut, which was warm and sugary.  You could also buy donuts in 6 or 12 packs (or more), and apple cider.
 


From there, I walked over to the market, where they had all kinds of produce, plus lunch meals including BBQ pulled pork sandwhiches:


There was also a gift shop on the farm called Harmony Hill, right across from the smiling barn:


I then went over to where the East Troy Electric Railroad has one of it's main depots, where I found this welcoming sign:


 They also had a handy way to take children throughout the orchard, the little red wagon coral:


Below, you can see the bounty I brought back from The Elegant Farmer: 2 kinds of gourmet coffee, Asiago cheese, crackers, and pumpkin-apple bread.  I'm looking forward to indulging in all of it!


2 comments: